2.5.05

Elitist?

I would not say that I have an elitist view of technology, as much as I would say that I wish to see people apply themselves to the technology they have. Often enough I have to help someone do something with technology. That doesn't bother me, what does bother me is when that same person repeatedly asks me to do the same thing, taking no note of how its done. For me technology is generally simple, for others it can be hard. I respect that. I just wish they would make some effort.


Can everyone make an effort? Yes! Everyone can. Can everyone learn? No, it would seem that not everyone can. For some it is to much. My grandfather, a very intelligent man would much rather write a letter than an email. I can understand. Getting used to something so new and hassle ridden, you might as well stick with what you know.


I was very impressed with my father the other day because he took note of how to turn on closed captioning. He made some effort, and it pleased me. Will he continue to ask me to do it? Oh yes, no doubt about it!

Its not that I don't like people who don't make the effort, its just that they are disapointing. They could learn, all they have to do is try. I guess they must be to busy or something...

Chau

2 comments:

John said...

I appreciate your reply; very well written and stated. My earlier response post was just a little jab, not meant to be harsh.

I thoroughly agree with this post. If only everyone was as interested in learning and implementing technology as much as we are. An example is my wife. Everytime she needs to add an attachment to an email, she needs my help. This has gone on for a long time now. I've sat with her in an attempt to teach her, but she still asks for my help. It just doesn't interest her enough to commit it to memory.
Cheers

East said...

oh... Sad...

My condolences!

Chau